One of the keywords found in Matthew’s gospel account is the word all. It is a translation from the Greek word pas. There are other forms of this word in Matthew’s gospel, but of the 104 times this word is used, 83 times the word means, all or every. The other 21 times the word means, whole, everything, whatever, as many as, completely, everywhere, great, or exceedingly (see the chart below for a breakdown).
There are 5 times the word all (pas) is used in reference to Jesus performing miracles of healing for people suffering from diseases or illnesses. This word usage is a beautiful example of a literary thread that can be found in Biblical writings. Look at each of these, and then I’ll share some thoughts that will help us see how the thread is tied off at the conclusion of Matthew’s gospel.
- Matthew 4:23-25 – Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.The news about Him spread throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all who were ill, those suffering with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, paralytics; and He healed them. Large crowds followed Him from Galilee and the Decapolis and Jerusalem and Judea and from beyond the Jordan.
- Matthew 8:14-17 – When Jesus came into Peter’s home, He saw his mother-in-law lying sick in bed with a fever. He touched her hand, and the fever left her; and she got up and waited on Him. When evening came, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed; and He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were ill. This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: “He Himself took our infirmities and carried away our diseases.”
- Matthew 9:35-36 – Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness. Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd.
- Matthew 12:9-16 – Departing from there, He went into their synagogue. And a man was there whose hand was withered. And they questioned Jesus, asking, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—so that they might accuse Him. And He said to them, “What man is there among you who has a sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable then is a man than a sheep! So then, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” Then He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand!” He stretched it out, and it was restored to normal, like the other. But the Pharisees went out and conspired against Him, as to how they might destroy Him. But Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. Many followed Him, and He healed them all, and warned them not to tell who He was.
- Matthew 14:34-36 – When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret. And when the men of that place recognized Him, they sent word into all that surrounding district and brought to Him all who were sick; and they implored Him that they might just touch the fringe of His cloak; and as many as touched it were cured.
Do you see this connecting thread in each of these healing moments in Jesus’ ministry? Jesus healed all of their diseases and sicknesses. There was nothing He could not do. There was nothing that stumped Him. No matter what cancer, no matter what arthritis, no matter what lung condition, no matter what cold, flu, virus, or corona, Jesus healed them all! Isn’t that amazing! Those people that witnessed this face to face were amazed, and we should be too.
Jesus was able to accomplish this all because of what He says at the end of Matthew’s gospel account.
Matthew 28:18 – All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
Since Jesus has all authority of all things, should we give Him all and trust that he can heal all our deceases and sicknesses too? Absolutely!
If we need physical healing, can Jesus heal us? Yes, because He heals all!
If we need spiritual healing, can Jesus heal us? Yes, because He heals all!
That’s right, I said it! He heals all!
Then what are we scared of? He heals all!
I love you,