For as long as I can remember, I have known that there was good and evil. I have been aware of this contrast my whole life, I suppose. I remember in VBS putting the devil in a box and taking him out and POW POW POW. I also remember taking my gospel chariot and RUNNING RIGHT OVER HIM! Today, I am even more committed to fighting in the war waged between God and the devil who tries to win us over.
Did you know that the devil wants to win you over? Well, really, he is just interested in making sure that you are not won over by the Lord. If he can get you to not commit to Christ, then he’s got you. With the turmoil around us today, it’s easy to conclude that things are worse now than they have ever been and that we are losing the war. But don’t let the devil fool you with that lie.
Things have actually been worse than they are now. Here is the proof:
- There was a time when the wickedness on earth was so terrible that the Lord up and decided to start over with just one family (Genesis 6-9).
- There was a time when the wickedness of one rebellious people was so rampant that the Lord opened up the earth to swallow those people up (Numbers 16:31-34).
- There was a time when the wickedness of one man caused him to sin by plotting, lying, scheming, and murdering another man to cover this own sexual sins (2 Samual 11).
- There was a time when the wickedness of one generation led to the next generation, not knowing who the Lord was nor any of the works He had done (Judges 2:10).
- There was a time when the wickedness of an angry mob lifted up the Savior before a foreign government to be beaten, mocked, surged, and crucified on a cruel, cruel cross (Matthew 26-27).
Things are bad now, for sure, and in our gut, we want to ask why. Why are things bad now? Who is to blame? I need someone to blame. I need someone to point the finger at someone and say it’s your fault.
Do you know who I blame? Not my red or yellow, black or white neighbor, not the police, not the liberal media, not a foreign Chinese government, not a virus. I BLAME SATAN!
Things are bad now, but they could be worse, and the devil is to blame! Now I know that I am to blame, too; I choose evil at times. But, he is the one who introduced sin into the world for man to choose between good and evil. When I remember he is the instigator, it makes me really mad at him. I need to stop blaming everyone else. I need to stop pointing fingers and focus all my efforts on defeating that serpent of old.
Here is what Paul tells us then he writes to the Ephesians:
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. – Ephesians 6:10-20
QUICK APPLICATION FOR OUR LIVES:
- Stop fighting everyone else and fight the real villain (Satan)
- We are going to win the war if we are on the Lord’s side, but we gotta keep fighting the battles
- Make sure to have your armor on to ward off the wiles of the devil
- Pray always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, asking God for deliverance.
- Watch to the end with all perseverance
- Speak boldly to let the gospel be known to defeat the real enemy.
I love you,